When are permits needed?

Permits are needed for:

  • Accessory structures, e.g.:
    • Decks
    • Fences
    • Garages / detached garages
    • Pole barns
    • Re-roofs
    • Sheds
    • Siding
    • Swimming pools
  • Any commercial building, commercial addition or alteration
  • Any finished area inside the home that was not finished as part of the original building permit, e.g.: finished basement or and remodel work other than painting and flooring)
  • Dwelling
  • Grading Permit - when disturbing more than 1 acre
  • Floodplain Development Permit - when doing any work in the floodplain (see map) including grading 
  • When subject property does not allow a use as a Principal Use (see Zoning Regulations) but does allow it as a Special Permitted Use

Show All Answers

1. When are permits needed?
2. Where do I go to get a permit?
3. How long is a permit good for?
4. What building codes are enforced in Sarpy County's jurisdictions?
5. How are permit fees calculated?
6. What are the different zoning districts?
7. What zoning type am I located in?