Sarpy County’s investment in roads extends beyond northwestern Sarpy County.
“Building and maintaining roads is one of our most important functions as a county government,” County Commissioner Gary Mixan said.
The county devoted time and resources in 2022 to improve Platteview Road, numerous arterial corridors and bridges that spanned the county to better connect Sarpy residents to their neighborhoods, schools and favorite businesses.
“We have a great internal team and many external partners who work together to bring these projects to fruition,” County Engineer Denny Wilson said.
Together, the county’s 2022 roads projects totaled $33 million. Sarpy County shares the cost of roads projects with neighboring developments, so taxpayers are not solely responsible for that amount.
Among the county roads projects completed in 2022:
- Expanding 168th Street from Highway 370 to Schram Road
- Expanding Schram Road, 114th Street to 132nd Street
- Expanding 114th Street, Schram Road south 1/2 mile
- Paving of 192nd Street and Schram Road
- Replacing Schram Road bridge at 240th Street
- Overlay Buffalo Road, Highway 31 to 180th Street
- Emergency 84th Street bridge repair
- Install 108th Street and Platteview Road traffic signal
- Platteview Road Expressway engineering design
Also in 2022, work began to transform 60th Street from its current state: a gravel road.
"This is a significant project for our future,” County Board Chairman Don Kelly said. “Bellevue and Papillion nearly meet at 60th Street, and it’s where we anticipate development to take off in the coming years. That’s impossible without an improved, upgraded road.”
The Board of Commissioners approved a resolution to design 60th Street into a three-lane paved roadway from Capehart Road to Highway 370. The Board also approved an agreement to begin right-of-way acquisition so that the road can be built.
The project schedule calls for beginning construction in fall 2023 and completing the project in 2024.
The project is estimated to cost $8 million. That amount will be shared among Sarpy County and future developments along 60th Street.
Check out more stories from the 2022 Sarpy County Annual Report.