- Departments I through Z
- Sheriff's Office
- How Do I…
- Records Request / Crash Report
Records Request / Crash Report
The Sarpy County Sheriff's Office works closely with the Sarpy County Attorney's Office in the release of records. Active investigation reports cannot be released. Properly written requests and/or legal demands (i.e., subpoenas) are needed to complete a records request. Verification of loss reports for theft cases can be released to involved parties and/or his/her insurance company or attorney.
Please follow the link to complete the Sheriff Records Request Form to have a request processed.
If you need to obtain a copy of the completed crash report, you may do so through the CrashDocs.org website. If you are involved in a motor vehicle crash, you may file your crash report through the State of Nebraska Online Crash Reporting website.
If you are involved in a motor vehicle crash:
- Stop vehicle at the scene of the crash or as close as possible.
- Assist the injured if aid is necessary or requested and notify emergency authorities.
- Use flares, reflectors, flashlights to alert traffic from all directions.
- Exchange information with the other drivers to include:
- Driver's license number
- Insurance information
- License plate number
- Make, model, and year of the vehicle
- Name, address, and telephone number
- If you hit an unattended vehicle, contact the proper authorities and provide written information as outlined above where the owner can find it.
- Obtain the names and addresses of witnesses.
- Do not leave the scene of the crash until released by proper authorities.
- Complete a Driver's Motor Vehicle Accident Report and send it to the Department of Transportation within ten days if any person is injured or killed, or damage appears to exceed $1,000 for any vehicle or piece of property.
- Failure to report a crash as required is unlawful and persons in violation shall be guilty of Class II or III misdemeanor and may have their license or privilege to drive revoked.