Commercial Vehicles

This information was provided by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) for your use. Please contact them if you have any questions. Every commercial motor vehicle is required to have a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) number if the vehicle is used in interstate commerce.

FMCSA Operating Authority MC Number

If you are an interstate carrier who is for-hire (not hauling your own commodity), you also need FMSCA Operating Authority if you are not hauling an exempt commodity. To obtain operating authority, you must submit an OP-1 form as an application for an MC Number or call 1-800-832-5660 to request an application. Truck and bus companies, and many companies that operate trucks and buses as part of their business, are subject to some or all of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.

Nebraska Department of Roads - over Weight Permits & Information

Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax (HHVT)

If your vehicle has a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more you will need to file an IRS form 2290.  In order to register your vehicle in Nebraska, you will have to present this document. You may obtain the form and the instructions at the IRS forms website.

IRS Resources

Apportioned Plates

Apportioned plates are issued by the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles Motor Carrier Services Division. Specifics on this program may be viewed at their Apportioned Plates and the International Registration Plan IRP website.

Unladen Weight Permits / Hunters Permits

Commercial carriers who have had apportioned plates and have terminated/complete their lease agreement or contract with a local business are often in need of some sort of transit document to return to their home state because their plates have been surrendered.  Unladen weight permits are available from the Motor Carrier Services division of DMV at:

  • Motor Carrier Services
    301 Centennial Mall S
    Lincoln, NE  68509
  • Motor Carrier Services Website
  • They may be contacted at 402-471-4435 or toll-free at 888-622-1222

Additional Resources

Access other websites and phone numbers that may be of use.